Friday, August 17, 2012

Flannel Friday: A Rumble in the Jungle

Hey, it's a jungle in here!

Source

Happy Flannel Friday!

This week, I was inspired during a super quick visit to our Dollar Store. It was a fast in-and-out visit yesterday morning but I happened to notice some adorable jungle stickers. 

They were only a $1.00!

Since my Family Night storytime this week was an adventure to the jungle, I just had to have them! 

But ~ what to do with them?!??!???

When we adventure to the jungle at storytime, I usually do several songs with lots of different jungle animals so I decided to make some magnetic/flannel sets using these cute animals as my inspiration. 

I took a sheet of the stickers and scanned it into Photoshop. Then I used the cropping tool to isolate each animal ~ leaving a border of the green around each one because I thought it was a nice contrast. Finally,  I enlarged each animal to the appropriate size and printed them out on cardstock.
This is what you need to make the flannel set.

Once they were printed out, I cut out each one leaving the nice green border. 

Sorry about the colors 
~ he should be brown and tan with a light green border ~ 
I'm not sure why my pictures show strange colors sometimes. :o(

Here is where I did different techniques ~ one for the magnetic board and one for the flannel board:

To prepare the animals for flannel use, I glued the cardstock to some stiff black felt using Tacky glue. 


The final step ~ I trimmed the black felt to leave a black border around the edge of the green. That really makes the colors stand out! 

Now he is ready to monkey around at storytime!


For the magnetic board set, I simply copied the animals onto the cardstock, cut out each one ~ leaving the green border ~ and laminated them. Once laminated, I trimmed them up again and put a magnet on the back of each one. Here is the whole gang that I made for last night's storytime:


If you are observant, you will have noticed that I did not include all of the animals from the sticker sheet. I was in a crunch for time since I found them at around 1 pm and needed to use them at 7 pm. I made the ones that I knew would go along with my featured book and a few songs that I had planned to sing. I will be adding the rest soon.

If you are super observant ~ which I am NOT! ~ you may have noticed an extra jungle friend. Here's a clue ~ It is one of these two animals:


It is the flamingo! Isn't she gorgeous? 

And she fits right in with a little help from the green border. I found the flamingo by doing a Google search in images. Once I found one that was similar to the other animals, a friend used a cool tool in Photoshop to add the green border. It is the rubber stamp tool. He says it is simple so I will be learning how to do it myself.  (I love learning new things, don't you?)

There you have it! 

Two ways to very quickly take an inspiration (stickers!) and transform it into usable, brightly colored storytime props.

A few ways that they can be used:

First, I used some of them with a fun song ~ The Jungle Walk (resource information coming soon ~ I have used this song for 20 plus years. It is from a record set that a friend gave me when I first started teaching preschool. The set is my absolute favorite music resource for teaching and for storytimes. I am researching on-line for information on it and will share it as soon as I find it In the meantime, you could just read the words. Contact me if you are interested in having them sent to you.) :


"It's a perfect day to walk in the jungle
Come and spend some time.
Look for the animals deep in the jungle.
Look through the trees and vines."

Each new verse introduces a different animal and asks the children to move like that animal. This song is wonderful for movement and for encouraging good listening skills.

The jungle animal sets can also be used for another active song:

 If I Were
(Sung to: "The Mulberry Bush")

Oh, if I were a monkey, 
a monkey, a monkey,
Oh, if I were a monkey
I'd swing around the jungle.
Swing, swing

Oh, if I were a tiny snake,
tiny snake, tiny snake,
Oh, if I were a tiny snake 
I'd slither around the jungle.
Slither, slither

More verses:
Flamingo ~ fly
Zebra ~ trot
Tiger ~ crawl
Giraffe ~ stretch
Hippo ~ waddle
Lion ~ stalk 
Elephant ~ stomp

For a different take on this song, you could make sounds instead of movements such as roaring for the lion, hissing for the snake, etc. If you don't know what an animal sounds like, you could always ask your child/ren. They often have great suggestions! 

Okay, one more:

At the last minute, I decided to use the animals for a little storytelling. I did a jungle version of Brown Bear, Brown Bear.  Any version of this popular book is always fun and well-received by the children and the parents!

It started out like this:

I went for a walk in the jungle
And what do you think I saw?
I saw a monkey looking at me!
And this is what I said,


Monkey, Monkey, what do you see?
I see a snake slithering by me.


If you would like a copy of the whole story, please send my an email at storytimeabcs@gmail.com

Our adventure to the jungle was a BLAST! Thanks to the colorful jungle animals that were soooo simple to make! I hope you enjoyed learning how they were adapted for both the flannel board and the magnetic board. Come back soon for another visit because I will be sharing more ideas on how to use these stickers for other learning activities. AND I will be sharing our craft from last night! He produced lots of ROAR-ingly good fun!

It's a roaring lion!
I chose this particular picture to include because 
of the little one in the background. 
They are really having fun with the magnetic set!
The little guy's expression is priceless!

I hope you have a fun, adventurous weekend!
And, as always,

HAPPY READING TOGETHER!



This week's Flannel Friday Round-Up is being hosted by Mollie at her blog, What Happens In Storytime. Thanks for hosting this week, Mollie!

Curious about Flannel Friday

In the awesome words of Library Quine:

Find out about Flannel Friday on the dedicated website. Features include past roundups, host schedule and how to participate.

Scan the Flannel Friday posts on Pinterest. 

Search for flannels and storytime ideas at Mel's Desk.

Discuss storytime and flannel boards on the Flannel Friday Facebook Page

And in my own words, 

ENJOY!

7 comments:

  1. These are adorable. I love how they are simple to make quick!! You have a great eye for making creative things!! I'm pinning this to my animals board. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a lot of work in a short timeframe. Well done! Looks like a fun event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kay, thanks for quoting my 'awesome' words! That block is something I've worked on since participating in my library service's Marketing and Promotion Committee. I'm still tweaking it, but it's supposed to 'sell' the benefits, not the features. glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! I love dollar store finds! I would love for you to come join my Get Social party. You can link up your homepage and promote your awesome blog! http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/get-social-sunday_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you had any luck finding The Jungle Walk song anywhere? I would like to expand my "animal sounds" music class beyond the farm next Wednesday, and that sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. K-- I think I might have found the song! I purchased the "Large Motor Skills" cd from this set at Newbridge: http://www.newbridgeonline.com/c/@Zy.yOkXgI6af6/Pages/product.html?nocache@1+record@P3859. It may not be the same production as your Jungle Walk, but it has all the same lyrics and comes with a great Teacher's Guide with activity extensions. Thanks for posting this idea that made me go on a librarian treasure hunt.

    ReplyDelete