Saturday, January 18, 2014

Guest Post: Trains, Buses, and Trucks!

Recently, I was involved in a discussion on the Facebook page for a wonderful new group of people who have the same passion that I have ~ a LOVE for sharing any and all things Storytime-related! If you have that same passion, you can find the discussion on the page for the group, Storytimes and More on the Go.

Our Guest Poster today is an active participant in the group so I am very excited that she asked to share one of her favorite storytime plans with us this week.

Her name is Jane and her favorite storytime themes are "Trucks and Trains -- 'though not together".

Jane says that she is quite active with her "Pinterest boards...but no blog". (Check out her pins here.)
She is also active on her "library system's wiki...but no blog". (Don't miss their wiki here.)
PLUS, she has been "hosting storytimes for 20+ years" and she has "lots of ideas -- (her) own and some "borrowed"...but no blog".

Well... guess what?!??! She doesn't need her own blog to share all her wonderful, invaluable experience with all of us. She can do it through this Guest Post! So from this point on, all credit goes to Jane!

Before we get to Jane's storytime plan, she has two songs that she opens all storytimes with. 

"The first, to greet our friends, and have them recognize colors and body parts":
"Hello, all my friends, how do you do? 
How do you do? How do you do?
Hello, all my friends, how do you do? 
How are you today?
If you're wearing _____, touch your _____."
(Repeat with 5-6 colors/body parts.)
End with:
"If you're here for storytime, put on your listening ear. Sh-sh-sh"

"The second song engages everyone...or tries to":
"Here's your hands, clap-clap-clap,
Here's your hands, clap-clap-clap.
Here's your knees, so pat-pat-pat,
Here's your knees, so pat-pat-pat.
Clap-pat, clap-pat, clap-pat,
Shake those arms about.
Here's your eyes, so blink-blink-blink,
Here's your eyes, so blink-blink-blink.
Here's your brain, so think-think-think,
Here's your brain, so think-think-think.
Blink-think, blink-think, blink-think,
Clap-tap, clap-tap, clap-tap,
Shake your arms about.
Move your arms, up and down,
Move your arms, up and down. 
Move your arms all around,
Move your arms all around.
Up, down - all around,
Up, down - all around,
Blink-think, blink-think, blink-think,
Clap-tap, clap-tap, clap-tap,
Shake your arms about!"

Now for Jane's Storytime Plan for:


Trains

Opening songs—Greet & Movement

*Engine, engine #9 (movement activity)

*FREIGHT TRAIN, Donald Crews


*I’ve Been Working on the Railroad (song)

*A TRAIN GOES CLICKETY-CLACK, Jonathan London

*BREAK –  Down By the Station (movement song)

*Participatory Flannel Board – I hand out pieces of a train and then call the children up to complete flannel board picture—either using colors or asking for specific pieces.

*Story to Draw, Birthday Surprise (Jerry Mallett, p. 26-28)

*IT’S FUNNY WHERE BEN’S TRAIN TAKES HIM, Robert Burleigh
*Ring-Around-the-Rosie 
You can also use:                       Peanut Sat on a Railroad Track

A peanut sat on a railroad track,
His heart was all a-flutter.
Around the bend, came number 10,
Toot-toot, peanut butter.
          --Traditional

I met an engine on a hill,
All hot and broken-hearted.
And this is what he said to me,
As up the hill he started.
I think I can, I think I can,
At any rate I'll try.
I think I can, I think I can,
At any rate I'll try.
He reached the top, and looking back,
To where he stood and doubted,
He started on the downward track,
And this is what he shouted.
I knew I could, I knew I could,
I never should have doubted.
I knew I could, I knew I could,
I never should have doubted. 


And her Storytime Plan  for:

Buses and Trucks

Opening songs—Greet & Movement

*I Like Trucks, I Always Will (song, lyrics KIDSONGS)

*TRUCK DRIVER TOM, Monica Wellington
*Trucks are driving through the town, (fingerplay)
Driving up and driving down.
Here’s a red fire truck,
A green recycling truck,
A yellow construction truck,
A brown delivery truck,
And a red, white and blue mail truck.
1-2-3-4-5
                                                                     Beep-beep!  
                                                                    
*PRESCHOOL TO THE RESCUE, Judy Sierra


*BREAK – Hurry, Hurry, Drive the Fire Truck (movement song, Barney lyrics)

*Participatory Flannel Board – I hand out different trucks and then call the children up to complete flannel board picture—either using colors or asking for specific pieces.

*Wheels on the Bus (movement song)

*DON’T LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS, Mo Willems

*Ring-Around-the-Rosie

(I may do a train craft if I’m with older kids. We have an Ellison machine. )

At the end of storytime, I will almost always end with Ring-Around-the-Rosie for 2’s.

For the Preschoolers:
I’m as tall as a giraffe,                     
(hands are stretched high)
I’m as big as a house,                     
(hands are stretched wide)
I’m as tiny as an elf,                        
(hands are made low to ground)
I’m as quiet as a mouse.                               
(finger to lips)



A HUGE "Thank you!" to Jane for sharing TWO complete Storytime Plans with us this week. After reading her plans, I have added Preschool to the Rescue to my TBR pile and I'm looking for a week or two to add Trains, Buses, and Trucks to my storytime schedule. I haven't done transportation in quite awhile so I am sure my storytimes will love a Jane-inspired week or two. Lol!

***This Guest Post has been shared on the Storytimes and More Saturday Share for 1/18/14***





No comments:

Post a Comment